The Windhover is dedicated to promoting poetry, fiction, and creative nonfiction that considers Christian perspectives and engages spiritual themes.
Issues are released each August and each February. Submission periods for each issue are as follows:
February 1 to May 1: August issue
August 1 to October 15: February issue
When submitting your work, please follow these specifications:
- Send one prose piece or no more than five poems submitted in one document. (Works longer than 4,000 words are not considered.)
- Include a brief cover letter with your name, address, email, the title of your submission(s), and a third-person bio of fewer than 75 words.
- Include your name and email address on each page of your submission(s).
- All works for consideration must be submitted via our online submission manager.
- We do not consider previously published work.
- We do not consider e-mailed or postal submissions.
- Simultaneous submissions are acceptable provided that you let us if your work has been accepted elsewhere. (Please contact us via email and withdraw your submission from our online submission manager.)
From the editor, Nathaniel Lee Hansen: “We are looking for writing that avoids the didactic, the melodramatic, the trite, the obvious. Eschew tricks and gimmicks. We want writing that invites rereading.”
We also welcome book reviews for publication on The Windhover blog. We consider book reviews all year, and we recommend you visit the review section of the blog to obtain a better sense of our tastes.
Book reviews should be submitted as .doc, .docx, .rtf., or .odt files. There are no length specifications.
The Windhover homepage: https://go.umhb.edu/humanities-sciences/english/windhover#1845
Find The Windhover on Facebook: www.facebook.com/WindhoverJournal
Check out The Windhover blog for book reviews and other info: http://blogs.umhb.edu/windhover/
Follow The Windhover on Twitter @WindhoverMag
The Windhover email: firstname.lastname@example.org
The Windhover Writers' Festival homepage: www.umhb.edu/writers